Two x 12'' by Fad Gadget

Hello my 3 trusted followers, friends, lurkers and anonymous. It's still me, AJ again, and I'd like to introduce you to a thing that I've been thinking about. Do I really need this introduction?? Are you tired of the same old, same old?!
TOUGH!, TUFF!, HART!, DIFFICILE!, DIFÍCIL!, HÅRD!, MOEILIJK!, KOVA!, VANSKELIG!, TRUDNY!, ЖЕСТКИЙ (ZHESTKIY)!, TÚCHA! and ΣΚΛΗΡΟΣ (SKLIROS)! (If I've missed your language out, Shit Happens).
So, what I'm going to continue to do, is I'm going to post a Saturday and Sunday special feature for a couple of months/years to try and clear out all the 7", 12", EP's and CD singles that I have accumulated from different bloggers over the past few years. I can't remember all of you/them, but I'd bet that the greatest number came from DJ Jef @ myvinyldreams which is ALWAYS worth a visit. 
I'm going to post TWO singles by TWO bands every Saturday and every Sunday until I've run out of singles or bands. Rocket science it ain't, but then, that don't impress you much!





Ripped to MP3
Fad Gadget - Collapsing New People 12"
A - Collapsing New People (London Mix)
B1 - Collapsing New People (Berlin Mix)
B2 - Spoil The Child








Ripped to MP3
Fad Gadget - One Man's Meat 12"
A - One Man´s Meat (Remix)
B1 - Sleep (Electro-Induced Original)
B2 - Ricky's Hand (Live)





The futuristic drive of Tovey’s early electronic work and his commitment to question ideas of rock authenticity came to be accompanied over time by a sense of contrariness. Fad Gadget was always too dance-oriented in sound and eccentric in presentation to fit with the rockier element of leftist post-punk; at the same time, as the 1980s unfolded and synth-based pop started to dominate the charts, Tovey, who never achieved commercial success outside of the independent circuit; only in 1984 did Fad Gadget enter the main UK chart, with the singles ‘Collapsing New People’ and ‘One Man’s Meat’ reaching numbers 85 and 92, slowly transitioned towards a recuperation of non-synthetic sounds; his music too gloomy and politically engaged to fit with the hedonistic landscape of new pop. Though not as commercially successful as ‘Collapsing’, Tovey’s last single as Fad Gadget, the Gag cut ‘One Man’s Meat’ Tovey subverts the ultimate relativist proverb (‘One man’s meat is another man’s poison’) to depict a scenario where the protagonist’s destiny is not to fit anywhere. The identity crisis is total: he cannot even trust his own taste (‘But I could not taste the poison’).




Comments