Bauhaus - Burning From The Inside

Burning From The Inside (1983) is widely regarded as a polished, experimental masterpiece and a high point in Bauhaus's discography, despite being recorded amidst internal tensions and Peter Murphy's illness. The album features a diverse soundscape, blending gothic rock with Tones on Tails-style experimentation, cabaret, and acoustic tracks. Key tracks include the hit "She's in Parties," the experimental "Antonin Artaud," and the melancholic "Hope". 

This absolute barnstormer of an album is going to be the last posted here for a while...I'm going to be concentrating on my original blog "Themes From Great Cities". So to celebrate this I'll be mixing new posts and re-ups just as I've been doing between the two (Here and There) blogs, but all in one place. 
Over And The Fuck Out

Now a quick review and, we're outta here.
On Burning From the Inside, Bauhaus were beginning to fall apart as a group, but still managed to make great music in the process. This was largely recorded without lead singer Peter Murphy, who was very ill at the time, with David J and Daniel Ash doing vocals instead, thus making the album sound at times more like a Love and Rockets or Tones on Tail. The band was already moving closer to the more diverse sounds of those groups, and this also has a considerably lighter sound than earlier albums. Despite not being as dense, fast, or menacing as earlier work, it is still rather dark and Gothic, with lots of haunting acoustic guitar in places, such as on Kingdom's Coming and Slice of Life. Who Killed Mr Moonlight is a largely piano based ballad, that is excellent. There's even a happy, acoustic song in Hope, which further hints at the future sound of Love and Rockets. That said, not everything hear is markedly different from earlier material. Honeymoon Croon and Burning from the Inside would fit rather nicely on any of their albums, and some of these songs actually were written early in their career, evidenced by a demo tape from 1979. Also worth mentioning is the opener and single She's in Parties, a brooding masterpiece. Overall, I think Goths would probably be slightly disappointed with this album, but everyone else will probably find it easier to get into. I don't listen to this or The Sky's Gone Out nearly as often as their first two albums, but that's probably just because I heard those first, as Burning From the Inside is every bit as good, far more accessible, and also shows a lot of growth and maturation for the group. A fine place to start, though certainly not representative.

Ripped to MP3

A1 - She's in Parties
A2 - Antonin Artaud
A3 - Wasp
A4 - King Volcano
A5 - Who Killed Mr. Moonlight?
B1 - Slice of Life
B2 - Honeymoon Croon
B3 - Kingdom's Coming
B4 - Burning From the Inside
B5 - Hope

Comments

  1. Not every goth is disappointed by the album. "Who Killed Mr. Moonlight" is one of Bauhaus's best songs. You have to appreciate music and see it for what it is – evolution, experimentation, and a phase in a band's career. With Who Killed... they became an adult for me. They could definitely release more songs like this. I've been watching your blog for quite some time. I'm interested in how people think about this music and bands today. Even if you still remember all the bands. With all the mainstream shit these days, this music has become very rare. Unfortunately! We Goths and Death Rockers, New Wavers and Batcavers hope that this music will inspire many more. Greetings from Vienna Austria, DJ Sündenfall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the great commend dj Sündenfall. I was 19 in '83, living rough in a B&B, spending my unemployment benefit on drugs, cigs, alcohol, rent and food (in that order) then a mix of records, hairspray, clubing, hairdye and clothes. As Bauhaus matured, I was dancing to The Sisters Of Mercy...Death Cult...and a whole host of other bands blasting from the clubs in Edinburgh. I and most of my "friends" had moved on to the next new thing. I don't dance as much as I'd like to anymore, which means I have time now to appreciate the music, to observe the different paths each band eventually took. The trick with Bauhaus is they never stopped being. Pete Murphy's solo career is staggering, Daniel, Glen and David took a different route through Tones and onto Love n Rockets. We Goths,, Death Rockers, New Wavers and Batcavers are still inspiring musicians and music in general, with new bands picking up their instruments and making a fucking glorious noise. Long may it continue...greetings from North Essex xx

      Delete

Post a Comment